Pursuant to the Law No. 6701, published in the Official Gazette dated 20.04.2016 and numbered 29690, the Human Rights and Equality Institution of Türkiye was established and the Institution was mandated with fighting against discrimination and acting as Equality Body, in addition to its duties as a National Human Rights Institution (NHRI) and a National Preventive Mechanism (NPM).
The Board is the decision-making body of the Institution. The Board shall exercise its duties and powers given by this Law and other legislation under its own responsibility and independently. No body, authority, office or individual shall give orders nor instructions nor recommendations or suggestions to the Board on matters falling under its mandate. The Board shall consist of eleven members, including a Head and a Deputy Head.
Acting as an Umbrella Institution as NHRI, NPM and Equality Body; the duties of the Institution are as follows:
- Working to protect and promote human rights, prevent discrimination and remedy violations.
- Raising public awareness on human rights and non-discrimination through providing information and education including by use of mass media.
- Contributing to the preparation of the parts of the curriculum of the Ministry of National Education relating to human rights and non-discrimination.
- Carrying out joint activities with universities with a view to protecting human rights, eliminating discrimination and promoting an understanding of equality in society, contributing to the establishment of human rights and equality-related departments at universities.
- Following and assessing development of legislation on issues falling under its mandate and submitting its opinions and proposals thereon to relevant authorities.
- Inquiring into, examining, taking a final decision on and monitoring the results of violations of human rights – ex officio.
- Inquiring into, examining, taking a final decision on and monitoring the violations of non-discrimination principle – ex officio or upon an application.
- Fighting against torture and ill-treatment and taking actions for this purpose.
- Acting as the National Preventive Mechanism within the framework of the provisions of the Optional Protocol to the United Nations Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
- Inquiring into, examining, taking a final decision on and monitoring the results of applications filed by persons deprived of their liberty or placed under protection falling into the scope of the national preventive mechanism.
- Undertaking regular visits, with or without prior notice, to places where those deprived of their liberties or those under protection are held; delivering the reports related to such visits to relevant agencies and organizations, and disclosing such report to the public when considered necessary by the Board; examining and evaluating the reports regarding visits made to such places by boards/ committees that monitor prisons and detention houses, provincial and sub-provincial human rights boards and other relevant individuals, agencies and organizations.
- Preparing annual reports related to the protection and promotion of human rights, fight against torture and ill-treatment and fight against discrimination, which will be submitted to the President of the Turkey, Bureau of the Turkish Grand National Assembly.
- Following and assessing international developments in areas of human rights and non-discrimination, cooperating with international organizations working in the field within the framework off relevant legislation.
- Cooperating with public institutions and agencies, non-governmental organizations, professional organizations and universities working in the field of protection of human rights and fight against discrimination
- Supporting other institutions in their work for prevention of discrimination.
- Monitoring the implementation of international human rights conventions to which Turkey is a party. Submitting opinions during the process of preparation of the reports which the State is under the obligation to submit to review, monitoring and supervisory mechanisms established by these conventions, by also making use of relevant nongovernmental organizations; and participating in the international meetings where such reports are to be submitted, via sending a delegate.
- The Institution shall brief the Human Rights Inquiry Committee and Committee on Equality of Opportunity for Women and Men of the Turkish Grand National Assembly in relation to the exercise of its duties and mandate at least once a year.
Head of institution
Prof. Dr. Muharrem Kılıç, Chairman
Kocatepe, Mithatpaşa Cd. No:52 | 06420 | Çankaya/ANKARA
Year of establishment
Applying for accreditation
Number of staff
- Equality Body
- National Preventive Mechanism under OPCAT Art. 3 (NPM)
- Publishing research, recommendations and opinions
- Complaints handling
- Legal assistance
- Advising government, parliament and other public bodies
- Supporting the work of human rights defenders
- Cooperation with civil society organisations
- Awareness raising activities
- Human rights education and training