Unia (the Interfederal Centre for Equal Opportunities and Opposition to Racism) is an independent, interfederal public institution which specialises in equal opportunities policies and non-discrimination. Its mission is based on the objectives set out in a partnership agreement between the federal government, the regions and the communities of Belgium.
Unia – Unia – Interfederal Centre for equal opportunities and opposition to racism and discrimination
Unia has three major objectives:
- Promoting equal opportunities and participation for all, in all areas of society (employment, housing, education, welfare, leisure, culture, citizenship, etc.), irrespective of origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or philosophy of life.
- Cooperating with the major actors in our society: political and public authorities, citizens, civil society, professions, social partners, academic world, international organisations, etc.
- Promoting knowledge and respect of constitutional rights, more particularly anti-discrimination law, to ensure that these rights are respected and applied in Belgium, including through complaints handling, negotiation and strategic litigation.
Head(s) of institution
- Patrick Charlier, co-director
- Els Keytsman, co-director
Place Victor Horta 40, bte 40, 1060 Saint-Gilles
Year of establishment
1993 – Centre for Equal Opportunities and Opposition to Racism. In 2015 renamed to Unia
Year of first accreditation
Year of last accreditation
Number of staff
- La Louvière
- Nivelles Aalst
- Equality Body
- Monitoring body under CRPD Art 33(2)
- National mechanism under CERD art. 14
- Publishing research, recommendations, opinions
- Reporting to international and regional human rights mechanisms
- Complaints handling
- Legal assistance (without legal representation)
- Advising government, parliament and other public bodies
- Supporting the work of human rights defenders (antidiscrimination and antiracism)
- Cooperation with civil society organisations
- Human rights education and training (antidiscrimination and antiracism)
- Awareness raising activities