NHRIs deliver recommendations on EU’s plan to implement social rights
ENNHRI has contributed to the European Commission’s consultation on its Action Plan to implement the European Pillar of Social Rights. In the submission, ENNHRI welcomes the commitment to ensuring that the Pillar has a real impact on the enjoyment of economic and social rights in the EU, and calls for a greater role for National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) to assist in implementing the Action Plan.
The submission makes a number of recommendations, calling on EU actors to:
- Embed the Action Plan in international and regional human rights frameworks and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Integrate a human rights-based approach across the Action Plan and its application
- Put in place a systematic and regular human rights impact assessment of EU policies as a part of the Action Plan to avoid retrogression and discriminatory impact
- Ensure that the updated framework on Minimum Income Protection is based on human rights
- Include NHRIs and ENNHRI as allies in reinforcing Europe of Social Rights
ENNHRI stands ready to work with the European Commission in the development and implementation of the Action Plan.
See submissions from individual ENNHRI members:
- Combat Poverty, Insecurity and Social Exclusion Service (Belgium): Contribution à la consultation en vue de la mise en œuvre du Socle européen des droits sociaux
Photo: Andrea Piacquadio/Pexels