The People’s Advocate Office has a mandate to ensure the protection of all human rights and freedoms by public authorities, organisations and companies, no matter the type of property and the legal organisational form, by non-commercial organisations and decisions-makers at all levels.
The People’s Advocate’s Office contributes to the protection of the human rights and freedoms by preventing their violation, by monitoring and reporting on the modality of protection of the fundamental human rights and freedoms at the national level.
It also does this through the improvement of the legislation related to the human rights and freedoms, through international collaboration in this area, through the promotion of the human rights and freedoms and their protection mechanisms, and the overall application of the procedures provided by the Law on Ombudsman.
The People’s Advocate:
- receives and reviews complains on the violation of the human rights and freedoms and remits, in the set deadlines, written replies on the decisions;
- submits to the authorities and/or individuals in key positions recommendations on the recovery of rights for the individuals for whom was found a violation of their human rights and freedoms;
- contributes to the amiable solution of the conflicts between public authorities and individuals;
- contributes to the improvement of the legislation in the area of human rights and freedoms;
- submits proposals and recommendations for the ratification or adhering to international tools in the area of human rights and freedoms and provide methodological support to ensure their implementation;
- initiates matters in courts, presents the opinion at the request of the Constitutional Court;
- hires employees and exercises the right of disciplinary authority under the Law;
- promotes human rights in the society;
- performs other duties under the Law.
The People’s Advocate for children rights ensures the protection of child rights and freedoms, by the central and local public authorities, by the decision-making officials at all levels of the provisions of the UN Conventions for the Protection of the Rights of the Child.
The People’s Advocate for Children’s Rights :
- provides protection and assistance to the child at his/her request, without seeking the parents’ or legal representatives’ consent;
- acts ex officio in order to help the child in difficulty or at risk without seeking the parents’ or legal representatives’ consent;
- cooperates with any individual, non-commercial organization, institution or public authority acting in the area.
Head of institution
mun.Chișinău,MD-2012, str.Sfatul Țării, nr.16
Year of establishment
Year of accreditation
Number of staff
- Monitoring body under CRPD Art 33(2)
- National Preventive Mechanism under OPCAT Art. 3 (NPM)
- Ombudsman for children’s rights
- Publishing research, recommendations and opinions
- Reporting to international and regional human rights mechanisms
- Complaints handling
- Advising government, parliament and other public bodies
- Cooperation with civil society organisations
- Human rights education and training
- Awareness raising activities