The French National Consultative Commission on Human Rights (Commission nationale consultative des droits de l’homme – CNCDH) is the French national institution for human rights, established in 1947 in Paris.
Independent and with a pluralist composition, its main objectives are to:The French National Consultative Commission on Human Rights (CNCDH) is the French national institution for human rights. Established in 1947, the CNCDH is the oldest National Human Rights institution.
- Advise and make proposals to the Government and Parliament in matters related to human rights and international humanitarian law, through its public opinions;
- Control the effectiveness in France of the rights protected under the international human rights conventions; and
- Contribute to the work of the United Nations human rights bodies and to the Universal Periodic Review.
The CNCDH monitors the implementation in France of all recommendations from the international and European committees. It also raises public awareness and educates on human rights topics, by organising trainings and public events, or publishing educational tools.
As the national, independent rapporteur, it evaluates the national policies related to racism, antisemitism and xenophobia, as well as those related to human trafficking, gender policies, business and human rights.
It participates in the national framework for monitoring the CRPD (under Article 33).
NHRI of France is a member of the following Working Groups:
- Asylum & Migration
- Democracy & Rule of Law
- Economic & Social Rights
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Bussines & Human Rights
- Communicating Human Rights
NHRI of France is a participating institution in our Project on the Role of NHRIs in Situations of Conflict and Post-Conflict.
Head of institution
Jean-Marie Burguburu (President)
35 Rue Saint-Dominique, 75007 Paris, France
Year of establishment
Year of accreditation
Number of staff
- 64 members
- 17 staff in the Secretariat
- National Rapporteur on racism, antisemitism and xenophobia (Equality body)
- Monitoring body under CRPD Art 33(2)
- National Committee for the implementation of international humanitarian law
- National Rapporteur on Business and human Rights
- Member of the Corporate Social Responsibility Platform
- National Rapporteur or equivalent mechanisms on trafficking (under Trafficking Directive Art. 19)
- Secretariat of the “Association Francophone des commissions nationales des droits de l’homme” (AFCNDH)
- Secretariat of the French Institute for rights and freedoms (IFDL), national focal point of the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA)
- Publishing research, recommendations, opinions
- Reporting to international and regional human rights mechanisms
- Legal assistance (but not free legal aid)
- Advising government, parliament and other public bodies
- Supporting the work of human rights defenders
- Cooperation with civil society organisations
- Human rights education and training
- Awareness raising activities
- Evaluation of the French policy related to racism, antisemitism and xenophobia
- Evaluation of the French policy related to human trafficking and exploitation
- Monitoring of the implementation of international humanitarian law
- Evaluation of the national plans related to business and human rights
- Evaluation of national plans related to gender policies
- Cooperation through projects carried out under AFCNDH (the Francophone network of human rights institutions)
- Cooperation with EU FRA through the French focal point (IFDL)
- Third-party interventions before the European Court of Human Rights
- Communication under Rule 9 to the Committee of ministers